As humans, we love our sweet treats. A bit of ice cream for dessert, a candy bar snack in between meals and perhaps a piece of hard candy to hold you over until dinner time are all just the icing on the cake for us sugar lovers.
It feels good to reward ourselves with a sugary treat and you might be tempted to pass on that sugary goodness to you pooch, but can dogs really eat sugar?
No matter how much we want our dogs to be like us, our dogs just can’t always do the same things humans can do.
Foods that we eat everyday can be toxic and even poisonous for our four-legged friends because we have different metabolisms. The metabolism is the process of breaking down the foods we eat and turning it into energy we use to fuel ourselves.
Some of the foods we eat cannot be metabolized or are metabolized faster in our dogs than in our systems. The difference in our metabolisms is what causes our dogs to react negatively to a substance we find perfectly safe to put into our bodies.
Artificial sugars, such as those found in chewing gum and hard candies, contain xylitol, which is even more dangerous to give your pooch than regular sugar.
Given too much of this sugar substitute can actually kill Fido, so make sure to read the package label before sharing your sweet treat.
Chocolate is the most well-known toxic sugar treat to dogs. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, contains a chemical known as theobromine, which is just as toxic as xylitol found in artificial sugar.
Milk chocolates is less poisonous than dark chocolate because it is not pure chocolate. However, consuming too much of even a diluted chocolate can send your dog to the emergency room in a big hurry, so it’s better not to take the risk.
Are All Sugars Toxic to Dogs?
Baked or frozen treats that contain sugar are alright to give to your pooch every now and then, but sweets shouldn’t be a major component in your dog’s dietary routine.
As it is in humans, eating too much sugar has damaging results for our dogs. Diabetes, obesity and tooth decay are just some of the consequences of excessive sugar consumption.
So, a little piece of your sweet treat on rare occasions is just fine, just don’t buy Fido his very own triple scoop ice cream cone.
Don’t Forget about Fruits!
Fruits are sweet enough on your dog’s taste buds to feel like a sugary treat and they are actually good for Fido. Apples, bananas and pears are all good dessert choices to give to your dog.
However, some fruits, such as grapes, are poisonous to dogs and the seeds can cause a choking hazard. Therefore, all fruit snacks should be given with supervision and seeds should be carefully removed.
We love sugar, but sugar can be dangerous, even for humans in large amounts. Artificial sugars, sugar replacements, chocolate and large amounts of sugary snacks could send your pooch to the emergency room in a hurry if you’re not careful.
So if you’re thinking about treating your dog to a cup of Rocky Road ice cream or a great big chocolate chip cookie, think twice about the amount you are giving him.
Remember, a little bit of sugar may not cause any problems in our bodies, but it could cause a lot of damage in the body of a dog.